There are many power foods that can prevent Urinary tract infections or UTIs, and one of the most important among them is Asparagus. Asparagus extracts are now being studied for their bladder infection fighting properties, and preliminary reports are even suggesting that this super vegetable can ward off kidney infections as well as cancer. So let us study how to use Asparagus for preventing urinary tract infections.
Why use Asparagus for UTIs?
It is loaded with nutrients
Name any vitamin and chances are that it is present in this herbaceous plant. It is rich in vitamins A, C, E and K as well as folate, fiber and chromium. This increases our body’s natural defense system making it stronger against bacterial infections like UTIs.
Studies have shown that this herb is rich in anti-oxidants like Glutathione which fights free radical damage. This helps safeguard us against many forms of cancer like kidney, lung and colon cancers.
Does Asparagus clean your urine? Yes!-It is a diuretic
Asparagus contains aspergine which is an amino acid and also a diuretic. This increases urination which helps the kidneys and urinary system flush out Escheria coli bacterium that causes urinary tract infections. So if you have a propensity to developing utis you will do well by eating this super food daily. This diuretic property is also beneficial in heart patients, patients suffering from edema and those with hypertension related issues.
Asparagus soothes the urinary system
Many foods are extremely irritating to the bladder. These include sodas, caffeinated beverages, strawberries etc. Asparagus, on the contrary, is very soothing to the urinary system. It gently cleanses the urinary system to flush out the bacterial waste and also cleans the bladder and kidneys.
With all these asparagus uses and benefits, it is but natural that UTI patients must include this wonderful herb in their diet.
Adding Asparagus to your daily diet
Here are some simple ways how to use this herb in your diet:
- Select fresh organic Asparagus with tight heads and firm sturdy stalks. Eat it fresh as soon as you buy it, though it lasts for 3-4 days if refrigerated.
- To use: rinse them in cold water. Snap off the stems at the woody part where the tender shoots begin.
- You can use it in salads, as a side dish or even in your stir fry or soups.
- To use it in salads, boil the stalks for a few minutes then plunge them in ice water. This will add a nice crunch to it.
You can microwave, grill or even roast it to add to your recipes.
Eating too much asparagus- side effects
Asparagus is a healthy herb and eating too much of it generally does not cause any side effects. However, some people experience gas and bloating with it. Also, your urine can get a bit stinky. This shows the diuretic effects of eating too much asparagus which cleans out toxic waste and eliminates it through your pee. Side effects or eating too much asparagus as such are none.
Here are some steps for treating and preventing UTI
- Drink plenty of water. Urinate every few hours. This will eliminate the bacteria.
- Apple cider vinegar UTI treatment is also beneficial. Drink a glass of warm water twice a day mixed with some apple juice and couple of tablespoons of ACV.
- Take Asparagus extracts, benefits of which we have already discussed above. It acts as a urinary tract cleanser and helps throw out the germs that cause the infection.
- Drink cranberry juice- not the packaged commercial sugary juice- but the real organic unsweetened cranberry juice.
- Take D- mannose – UTI D-mannose treatment is very effective in preventing and treating UTIs.
- Pee immediately after sex.
- Avoid wearing tight synthetic underwear, skinny jeans and tight pants as they facilitate spread of germs from the anus to the urethra.
- Women must be careful in wiping from front to back rather than the opposite after having a bowel movement. This will prevent germs from anus reaching the urethra.
To get rid of UTI in 24 hours, drink plenty of water, cranberry juice, Asparagus extracts, and D mannose. For the pain, you can take some AZO® which is a UTI specific pain medication that can give long lasting pain relief. You will start feeling better in a day or two with this regime. However, if that is not the case and the pain persists, see a doctor immediately.