There are no specific remedies to cure bladder cancer apart from chemotherapy, conventional drugs and, in some cases, surgery but there definitely are several lifestyle changes and dietary measures one can take in order to reduce one’s risk of acquiring it in the first place. Since bladder cancer is often closely related to bladder infections (and often produces similar symptoms in the early stages), we thought we of discussing this topic today. So without further delay, here are some home remedies to greatly reduce one’s risk of getting bladder cancer.
1. Stop smoking
Smoking is the number one cause of many different kinds of cancers and bladder cancer is one of them. Quitting smoking can greatly reduce your risk of bladder cancer.
2. Avoid exposure to carcinogens
Household cleaners and industrial or urban pollution is one of the risk factors of cancer. Limiting exposure as far as possible can help lower your risk.
3. Bladder cancer diet cure and recipes
According to Nutrition during Bladder Cancer by Josef Miligui, following bladder cancer diet recipes can help:
- Eat warm well cooked meals with varied nutrients.
- Start the day with healthy breakfast
- Eat plenty of cereals.
- 5 fruits and vegetables per day will provide you with antioxidants that can prevent free radical damage. Eat plenty of broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables.
- Low fat milk and dairy products
- Take sugar and salt in moderation.
4. Other dietary measures for bladder cancer patients
According to Prescription for Herbal Healing By Phyllis A. Balch, following dietary measures can help further help those who have been diagnosed with bladder cancer. These remedies might also prevent risk of recurrence
- Avoid raw shitake mushrooms. Cooked mushrooms are fine.
- Patients must also limit intake of estrogen based foods like soy, licorice, peony and fennel.
- Reduce your consumption of charcoal grilled foods like fish and red meat.
- Do not drink tap water as some public areas have water with radium.
- Cook in stainless steel or glass, wooden or cast iron cookware. Avoid Teflon coated cookware or other modern coatings which can break off and get in your food.
5. Take vitamins
While no studies have shown the relation between vitamins and bladder cancer, some experts believe that certain vitamins can cut the risk of bladder cancer greatly. Selenium for bladder cancer is particularly recommended. Also eat an antioxidant rich diet. The role of vitamin C in cancer prevention is being studied, but preliminary reports are promising.
6. Get yourself screened
Early detection of bladder cancer can greatly reduce mortality. So go for regular screenings if you are at a risk. Frequent urinary tract infection symptoms could sometimes be bladder cancer. So if you have following symptoms, seek medical help immediately:
- Frequent painful urination
- Blood in urine
- Kidney stones and pain
- Elevated white blood cells count
Your doctor will definitely recommend a urinalysis. This may have to be followed up with a ultra-sonography of the kidney and bladder. Your doctor might also recommend cystoscopy. A cystoscopy involves looking through an internal camera at the bladder. This test is a surefire method of detecting urinary tract cancers. Early detection can greatly reduce your risk of mortality. So discuss this with your doctor.
7. Try herbal healing
Herbal remedies for bladder cancer are most effective when used with conventional medicines. Following list of herbs can help:
- Astragalus– This herb stimulates immune cells which kill cancer cells. Take 500-1000 mg (capsules) daily.
- Cat’s claw– This herb is available as a tincture. Take it with warm water and lemon juice. It activates white blood cell count which is often reduced due to chemotherapy.
- Garlic– This herb is preventative as well as restorative. You need to take at least 900 mg of pills. Garlic reduces the size of tumor cells.
- Green tea– Green tea cuts off blood vessels that supply nutrition to tumor cells and also prevents free radical damage and oxidation that causes cancer in the first place. Take capsules or drink green tea as directed.
- Quercetin– Take this antioxidant in doses of 750 mg per day (3×250 mg). It slows down the growth of estrogen activated cancers.
- Red wine catechins– Resveratrol tablets are readily available-take 250 mg thrice a day or a glass of red wine each day. This antioxidant retards cellular processes that cause cancers.
No remedy or treatment guarantees 100% bladder cancer prevention or cure. However, we can definitely take certain lifestyle measures to prevent it or catch it in its early stages. Doing so can greatly reduce mortality rate. We hope above remedies help you also improve overall urinary tract health.