If you have experienced a bladder infection or UTI, you know how painful that can be. Naturally, a question foremost on your mind must be “how to stop UTI pain” and mainly “how to stop UTI pain within 24 hours”. In this guide, we will discuss essential home remedies to help your UTI stop hurting quickly.
13 Home remedies to stop UTI pain fast
- Take a diuretic- Diuretics help treat a variety of problems as they work by flushing out excess water as well as sodium from the body. As the level of fluid decreases from the bladder, there will be lesser pressure on your urinary system. Not only does this reduce your blood pressure levels, it also flushes out the bacteria from the urine.
- Anti inflammatory pills- Sometimes, taking anti inflammatory pills is the only way to relieve pain, irritation and discomfort associated with UTI.
- Anti spasmodic pill- The main symptom of UTI is spasm or intense cramping in the stomach and back. So, an antispasmodic pain medication pill can help relieve such UTI pain fast.
- Drink lot of water- This is a simple preventive remedy to stop UTI from recurring. Water keeps the urinary tract healthy as it flushes out unwanted stuff from the body. Try to get in at least 10 glasses of water inside you when suffering from UTI and even when trying to stop their recurrence.
- Pee a lot- If you follow step 4, you will need to pee a lot and that is the best thing you can do to relieve UTI pain quickly. If there is a lot of burning pain accompanying urination, take pain medicine as prescribed. However, it is also important to get all that bacteria out of your system by urinating frequently. That is the key to healthy urine system.
- Add baking soda to your drinking water- Drink a glass of water to which a teaspoon of baking soda has been added. This will make your urine a little less acidic and help you stop UTI pain fast.
- Make parsley tea- Parsley tea is a great herbal concoction known to relieve UTI pain. Simply boil a glass or two of water and add some parsley leaves to it. Steep the mixture for a few minutes. Drink the brew throughout the day especially when you want to quickly stop UTI pain at home.
- Include green foods in your diet-Chew on celery sticks and seeds as well as cucumber. This will increase water content in your body and also strengthen immunity to prevent and stop UTI infections.
- Avoid citrusy foods- Fruits like lemons, oranges, nectarines and tangerines etc can increase the acidic content of urine causing it to burn even more when you pee. So avoid these foods if you wish to stop UTI pain.
- Apply heat pack- Simply add some hot water to a bottle and use it as a compress against your abdomen. This will help relieve UTI pain very fast.
- Include ginger in your diet- Ginger root has been used since centuries for its healing properties. The natural compounds in ginger help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Drink cranberry juice or take cranberry supplements- Some initial research on cranberry is showing good results in treating and preventing UTI. The E.coli bacterium which is usually responsible for most cases of UTIs has fibrous hair that helps it adhere to the lining of the bladder. By drinking cranberry juice or taking supplements containing extracts of Cranberry, the hair like substances can be prevented from sticking to the bladder and can even be flushed out. However, you must drink it in very large quantities to see results.
- Eat more probiotic foods-Horseradish, Khombucha, yogurt with live cultures of lactobacillus bacteria and other fermented foods help increase the colonies of good microbial flora in the gut while decreasing the bad bacteria. This helps prevent bacterial infections of the bladder. Other foods like cream of tartar etc can also make the environment a little less friendly for the bacteria.
These are some simple home remedies to help you stop UTI pain quickly. If these fail, do not hesitate to see your doctor immediately. Sometimes, the only solution to stopping UTI from hurting is to take antibiotic medicines.