In this guide, we shall study a few effective home remedies for urine infection treatment that can help provide mucilaginous, antispasmodic as well as diuretic effects to treat existing urinary infections and also prevent them from recurring.
The most common method of treating a urine infection is through the use of antibiotics since the normally sterile urinary tract gets infected by bacteria due to the infection. The female urethra is more susceptible to such bacteria owing to the ease of bacterial migration from the anus or vagina. The most common pathogens that cause the urine infection are the E.Coli bacterium. Frequent use of antibiotics for treating such infections can result in vaginal and intestinal dysbiosis and also lead to antibiotic resistance. Hence, alternative forms of home remedies for urine infection treatment must be used to prevent and treat simpler cases of UTIs.
Effective home remedies for urine infection treatment
- Cranberry or Vaccinium Macrocarpon has been used since centuries to treat and prevent all types of urine infections. The hippuric acid in cranberries is believed to make the urine highly acidic that helps eliminate bacteria from the bladder. Cranberries in the form of tablets, pills, juice or tinctures and extracts can all help prevent and treat milder UTIs. A daily supplement of 400mg or 16oz juice daily is recommended as part of the home remedies for urine infection treatment and prevention.
- Baking soda is another natural remedy that can help prevent UTIs. Drinking a glass of water to which a teaspoon of baking soda has been added can help neutralize the bacteria in urine and also speeds up recovery following an infection.
- Bilberry and Blueberry extracts (also known as Vaccinium myrtillus) can be used as a part of the home remedies for urine infection treatment. Like cranberries, these berries also have the same anti-adhesive effect that can help weaken bacterial aggregation in the urinary system.
- Berberine extracts are other effective home remedies for urine infection treatment. These plant alkaloids are present in many plants including the Goldenseal, Oregon grape and Barberry. The extracts and decoctions of these extracts are found to exhibit antimicrobial activity against bacteria, fungi, viruses and protozoa.
- Uva Ursi (Bearberry or St John’s Wort) is another botanical exhibiting antimicrobial activity that makes for effective home remedies for urine infection treatment. The aqueous cells of the extract inhibit the adhesive property of the microbes and prevent the bacteria from adhering to the host. It also has anti-inflammatory and diuretic abilities that help produce urine in patients who are unable to produce urine in significant quantities.
- Pineapple is rich in the enzyme bromelain that can be used to prevent and treat existing UTIs. A cup of pineapple on a daily basis is recommended as part of the home remedies for urine infection treatment.
- Other herbs that can be used as home remedies for urine infection treatment are Burdock (for treating E.Coli), Hydrangea for Cystitis, slippery elm for soothing irritated epithelium, and couchgrass for inflammation occurring due to Urethritis and cystitis.
- Vitamin C (100mg daily for three months) is also recommended for preventing and treating UTIs in pregnant women.
- For preventing urine infections in children, Vitamin A (a single dose of 200,000 IU) may be recommended.
- Individuals prone to frequent urine infections must drink plenty of water. As part of home remedies for urine infection treatment, at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water are recommended for men and women.
- An important part of the home remedies for urine infection treatment is to limit alcohol and caffeine intake since both these ingredients can irritate the bladder.
- Care must be taken to maintain hygiene before and after sexual intercourse. Women must urinate after sex to remove any bacteria in the urethra and also wipe front to back to limit bacterial infections. Condoms can help prevent UTIs better than the diaphragm.
- As part of home remedies for urine infection treatment, make sure to use cotton underwear since cotton helps absorb moisture and keeps the personal area dry and fresh.
These are a few home remedies for urine infection treatment as well as prevention. It is important to seek prompt medical attention if the infection worsens, is accompanied by a high fever or lasts for more than three days.