In women, bladder infections are very common owing to the presence of microorganisms like E.coli, Proteus, Neisseria organisms in the vulvar area. These generally coexist to provide optimum health. However, the changing ph of the vaginal area along with some hygiene issues can sometimes lead to bladder infections. Doctors commonly prescribe antibiotics to treat a urinary tract infection (UTI). However, there are two main problems with this approach:
- Antibiotics throw the delicate balance of vaginal bacteria off balance-this makes you more susceptible to fungal and yeast infections.
- Often, antibiotics do not work. Overuse of antibiotics causes the pathogens to develop immunity against these drugs as a result of which the infections recur within a short period.
Antibiotics also have many side effects like headaches, stomach upset and so on. So, is there an effective UTI treatment without antibiotics? Let us study some natural alternatives to prevent and get rid of a UTI in 24 hours.
How do you get a bladder infection and how long does a UTI last?
How long a UTI lasts depends on your immune system and also the treatment. With antibiotics, your infection should clear up within a week and the pain will stop after a couple of dises. However, if your doctor has given you a 14-day dose, make sure you take the complete dosage. Stopping the drug mid-way could cause recurrence. Here are some common causes that lead to a bladder infection:
- Hygiene issues- Wiping back to front after a bowel movement
- Sexual intercourse– Germs from the anal region easily travel to the urethra. Peeing after intercourse can usually prevent them, to some extent. Use of harsh lubricants, spermicidal gels etc can increase risk of UTIs.
- Wearing tight clothing-Thongs, skinny jeans and tight nylon panties can increase risk of UTIs as the germs can easily travel from the anal region to the urethra.
- Not peeing enough-If you drink very little water and do not urinate from time to time, the bacteria remain inside the bladder longer and increase your risk of developing an infection.
Best natural antibiotics to get rid of UTIs
Lab studies have shown that Echinacea stimulates the activity of white blood cells and rushes them to the site of the infection. It has also demonstrated antibacterial and antiviral activities. Many modern medicines for treating and preventing upper respiratory systems as well as UTIs contain the extracts of Echinacea. However, long term use of Echinacea can actually depress the immune system. So for maximum benefit, use Echinacea on and off-for example, take it for 10 days then break it off for 3 days. It is a generally well tolerated herb and most people do not have any side effects. Echinacea can strengthen the immune system and enhance the ability of the white blood cells to destroy foreign matter and purify the blood.
Garlic has shown significant antimicrobial activity against bacteria, fungi, viruses and protozoa. Today, scientists have studied and documented the effects of garlic on strengthening the immune and preventing cancer. The allicin compound of garlic contains sulfur. Doctors have demonstrated the ability of this compound in fighting gram positive and gram negative bacteria including e.coli. For maximum benefit, take garlic raw or add it to your food to treat UTI over the counter.
Like garlic, onion is also full of sulfur compounds. This genius vegetable is loaded with antibacterial and antifungal properties which help the body fight flu and other infections including UTI. In order to fight and treat UTIs, ingest raw onions daily. You can add them to your salads along with other greens. Onion soup is also a great recipe.
Apple cider vinegar
People have used apple cider vinegar for centuries as a highly effective remedy for a variety of health ailments. It is especially beneficial for treating infections of the urinary tract on account of its bacteria-flushing ability. The vinegar works by eliminating e.coli bacterium that causes UTIs thereby dislodging them from the urethra and bladder. It also has anti-inflammatory properties. For apple cider vinegar UTI treatment, add a few tablespoons of organic, raw apple cider vinegar with ‘mother’ to a glass of fresh warm water. You can add a little honey if desired. Take this 3 times a day prior to meals to be effective.
While not an antibiotic, baking soda for uti can relieve pain. Mix ½ tsp of baking soda with water and drink it from time to time.
Other tips to get rid of UTI in 24 hours without antibiotics
- Eat plenty of yogurt, kefir, miso soup, sauerkraut and other fermented foods with probiotic bacteria. This will replenish good bacteria in the body and strengthen immune system.
- Drink 60-80 ounces of water daily to flush out bacteria.
- Take high doses of Vitamin C. This keeps the urine acidic and prevents bacteria from clinging to the walls of the bladder.
- Drink a few drops of colloidal silver mixed with water. Silver has natural antibiotic, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties.
- Eat fruits like cranberries and blue berries. These inhibit bacteria growth in the urinary tract.
Try these natural alternative antibiotics and remedies to get rid of UTI in 24 hours.