Ahhh the pain!
How may pain killers can you really take before giving in and going to the doc? You end up getting an antibiotic prescription-which you take religiously- (you are even relieved it works since your pain is gone and you can start living your life again)….only to experience the pain and discomfort all over.
UTI or bladder infections keep recurring and most women experience them at least 2-3 times a year. If you are tired of taking antibiotics for reliving bladder infections, then do read the following remedies – which really work. Some of them are preventive in nature while others are to be used if you are currently suffering from one.
10 Bladder infection remedies that really work
- Flush out the bacteria with water– Drink tons of water-at least 10-12 glasses and pee as many times you need to flush out all of the bacteria from the system. Water works as a cleansing agent to remove the bacteria from the lining of the urethra. You can also drink 4-6 cups of green tea which is anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory in nature.
- Drink some baking soda- Make a solution of baking soda in water and drink it several times. This will cleanse the urinary system and also help the UTI pain subside. Do this 3-4 times a day.
- Take raw apple cider vinegar in water– Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and water and drink this mixture 3 times a day. ACV will help regulate the pH of the urinary tract and also eliminate bacteria. Make sure you choose organic apple cider vinegar with its ‘Mother’ intact.
- Cranberry juice– This is more of a preventive remedy for bladder infections. If you are prone to acquiring more than one urinary infection per year, it is vital that you drink cranberry juice or take cranberry supplements daily to prevent recurrence. Do avoid cranberry juice if you are prone to kidney stones. Talk to your doctor about the right cranberry supplement in the market. Target getting at least 400mg of cranberry extract daily.
- Eat a diet rich in probiotics– This will help blast the bad bacteria with the good bacteria. Good bacteria or probiotic bacteria are available in certain fermented foods like yeast, yogurt, miso, milk kefir, sauerkraut etc. So include plenty of these foods to create healthy flora in the urinary tract that can help eliminate bad bacteria in the urine.
- Use heat packs– Perhaps the worst thing when dealing with UTI is the pain. Try and soothe it using heat packs. You can get heat packs over the counter or simply use a towel immersed in hot water (squeeze out the excess water) and place it on the stomach.
- Avoid certain foods– Many foods aggravate the UTI further by irritating the lining of the urinary system. These typically include acidic foods like sodas, sugary beverages, caffeinated drinks, alcohol, smoking and other negative habits. So do ensure reducing these habits. Instead, opt for consuming more fruits and vegetables as well as healing comfort foods like rice etc.
- Use herbal remedies- Herbal remedies like grapeseed extract, Goldenseal, mustard oil, garlic, oregano oil, cornsilk etc are known to be very effective in treating bladder infections. Also a study conducted in New Mexico University has shown following herbs to be very effective against UTIs: Juniper, Saw palmetto, Horsetail, Yarrow root, Calendula, Chamomile etc. You can get them in form of essential oils or even in powders, supplements or extracts. Try and sip on herbal teas containing these herbs.
- Take vitamin C– Vitamin C is an antioxidant that can improve the immune function. Try to get at least 1000mg of this vitamin daily to hamper bacteria growth.
- Take homeopathic bladder infection medicines– Homeopathy is a safer as well as long term approach to solving bladder infections. Few homeopathic remedies for treating bladder infections include Cantharis, Pulsatilla, Nux Vomica and Sarsaparilla. Naturally, it is best to take these remedies under the guidance of a homeopath who will need to make a note of the exact symptoms and your medical history as well.
These are 10 bladder infection remedies that really work. Also check out 20 quick UTI treating and preventive remedies here.